Atlanta History Center, Atlanta, GA
Built in the late 1920s as the residence of Mr. and Mrs. Edward Inman, the Swan House is one of the most significant works of noted Atlanta architect, Philip Trammell Shutze. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Swan House is now owned by the Atlanta History Center and operated as a house museum.
Lord, Aeck & Sargent worked in partnership with the Atlanta History Center to research and plan a multi-phased restoration of this Atlanta landmark.Work began in 1998 with the restoration of the cascading fountain and garden walls. Efforts then shifted to the restoration of the house's significant interiors. The goal of this restoration was to return the house to its original 1928 appearance. Several spaces, including the butler's pantry, that had recently served as staff offices, were returned to their original functions. The significant decorative arts collection of Philip Trammel Shutze is housed in a new gallery space in the lower level of the house.
The restoration included the integration of all new mechanical, electrical, fire protection and security systems. All new systems were designed to protect both the house and the significant collections. Finely crafted interior finishes were carefully researched and restored, including plasterwork, marble, decorative painting and woodwork. The restoration was completed 2004.
Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation, Excellence in Restoration Award, 2004.
Credits and Links
Courtesy of Jonathan Hollada
Atlanta History Center
©Jonathan Hillyer Photography