Owned by the City of LaFayette, Chattooga Academy is one of Walker County’s most cherished landmarks.
Built c. 1836, it is one of the oldest brick school buildings in Georgia, which also served as the Civil War headquarters for Gen. Braxton Bragg in 1863. It was listed on the National Register of Historic places in 1980.
Lord Aeck Sargent was retained by the City of LaFayette to assess the current condition of the building and make recommendations for repairs. The first rehabilitation phase of the project was to rebuild the first floor, replace the roof and rehabilitate the wood cornice. The two brick chimneys were repointed and ventilated metal caps were installed. The second rehabilitation phase included guidance on installation of new mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems.