University of Georgia

Old College Rehabilitation

Athens, GA

Old College was the first major building on the campus of the University of Georgia in Athens. Completed in 1806, the masonry Federal-period building was constructed to accommodate both classroom and dormitory space.

Though the campus has grown and expanded, Old College has remained the spiritual center of the University. Old College has undergone two previous major renovations: one in the early 20th century and one during the early years of World War II. Currently, the building houses administration and executive offices for several college departments.

Lord Aeck Sargent was charged with the latest rehabilitation of Old College, which honored its historic integrity. The building's program is primarily administrative and executive office space with the addition of one classroom. The building was made ADA accessible, including the addition of an elevator. All mechanical and electrical systems were upgraded. The exterior brick masonry walls, limestone lintels, sills and belt courses were surveyed and areas of deterioration addressed. The masonry was repointed with a mortar formulated to match the historic material based on mortar analysis. Other major components of the exterior restoration were chimney repair and the replacement of the standing seam metal roof.

Old College is now well equipped to serve many more years in its role as the functional and symbolic center of the University of Georgia.


Practice Areas

College & University